Friday, November 22, 2013

A Trip to Sabangan

It was a lazy Sunday morning and the sun was shining so bright outside. It was a sign of a very great adventure.

But before that, it was a Friday, while I was browsing the internet when one photo caught my eye. It was a stunning sight! My body is craving to see and be on the same spot in the picture. I then read its details, and to my surprise, its location is VERY VERY near to Malaybalay City! Its location? In Barangay Can-ayan, a 10-minute drive from Poblacion.

Barangay Can-ayan marker near the City Water District Plant

I never set foot in Can-ayan so far in my life, its strange being 1-2 kilometers away from my house in Barangay Sumpong. I always get curious once I hear its name. Maybe I could go there one day.

Finally, after many consultations, I finally knew the place! It is said to be known as SABANGAN, the place where Malaybalay City's history first emerged. (Read the 1st ever book about Malaybalay's history entitled "Malaybalay: A City in the Forest" by Remedios Garcia Barretto). It is said that it is where a certain "Datu Mansikiabo" and his men lived. (Note: Details are on the book)

Felling the sunshine on a sunny Sunday, I decided to go to Sabangan! Although Can-ayan is a walking distance away, I preferred using our motorcycle for a faster pace since the time was already 10am.

The road to Can-ayan is beautiful! Who would have thought a secret world is lurking just behind the mountains! Each side of the road are trees providing shade as I drive through the unpaved barangay road.

The road to Can-ayan.
(This road passes through the whole length of Can-ayan up to Barangay Silae, a barangay already part of the City's Upper Pulangi District)
Along the way, I saw the famous City Pool, the City Water District Plant and the City Dumpsite (an eyesore amidst the beautiful scenery).

I reach the barangay center after 10 minutes. As a lone traveler, I have to ask for directions leading me to the historic Sabangan. I'ved talked to many locals and they have pointed many trails leading to the place. Suddenly, a group of mountain bikers passed by. Out from desperation, I asked  them if they knew or heard about Sabangan. Luckily, they knew and pointed on an unpaved road leading to a mountain. So I geared up and drove my way through the road. A local told me that there is a poultry farm near the area. When I saw the road leading me to the poultry farm, I was feeling lost, but I have no choice but to continue what I'ved started. When I reached the poultry, I asked again for directions to Sabangan. Unfortunately, they don't know the place.

Feeling down, I drove my way back down the road. Tired, I stopped and look at the enchanting views. Then suddenly, it truck me! In the horizon, I can see the mountains similar to the photo of Sabangan. I searched for roads but all I can see are empty rice fields and a huge river. I'm left with no choice, I have to leave my motorcycle and continue on foot.

And the exciting part of the trek began. I left the motorcycle at the poultry farm and asked permission to search for the illusive area. The sun was heating up the surface. I have brought only a 1-liter tumbler full of water, 1 cup of rice, and a can o sardines in case I get hungry on the way.

The beautiful empty rice fields with Mount Kiamo on the background.
I never thought it would be a long trek! Mud was everywhere on the trail I followed and there were a series of uphill trek! A lazy day no more! After trekking for 30 minutes, I could here running water. Continued on the trail, I finally saw a river, but it was not the river I saw in the photo! Then I knew it was the Can-ayan River.

The Can-ayan River, a tributary of the Mighty Tagoloan River.
I chilled on the river bank and relaxed for a while. Feeling the cool breeze and the majestic scenery, I found the place truly enchanting. After chilling for a bit, I crossed the Can-ayan River and continued on with the journey.

Another road appeared and I followed the one straight to the mountains in the background. Appearing before me is a steep slope, and I could see far away the picturesque scenery like the one in the photo. I was getting close to Sabangan!

After the treacherous climb on the steep slope, I finally reached the place! Marveled I am on the scenery. It was getting cloudy that day so the place was darker than the photo.


The "SABANGAN" - where the Kibalabag and Can-ayan Rivers meet to form the mighty Tagoloan River.

The Tagoloan River rapids with the beautiful pine trees at the background.

Taking a pose at this enchanting scenery.
That's it! My traveler's soul was satisfied! Amazed, enchanted, etc.! The place took my breath away. Whats even more exciting is that it is one of Malaybalay's historic sites!

With its history, Sabangan is said to be a ritual place of the tribes that once lived here. According to my father, there is a tree in which one must offer something to please the spirits residing in Sabangan. I then searched for the tree. Crossing the river, I finally found it! Its the one with a hole near its roots and I could see coins below the clear water. Without hesitation, I offered coins and prayed peacefully.

The Ritual Tree on Tagoloan's riverbank.

Tired and hungry, I went to a shaded area and ate lunch. Rice and sardines anyone?

A typical trekking meal.
I stayed at Sabangan for 3 hours. I swam on its pristine and clear waters and just documented the place.
It was already 3pm and I have to hike an almost one hour trail back to the poultry farm.

Crossing the Can-ayan River.
Finally, I reached the poultry farm, thankful that the motorcycle is still there and went home. But I stopped for a while, looked back on the track and took last photos before going home.
The road to home.
This trip reminded me to explore the areas nearer to my residence. Barangay Can-ayan proved that wonders are still yet to be discovered.

SOME FACTS ABOUT SABANGAN:
1. Tribal leaders in the neighboring Barangays Kibalabaga and Manalog gather in Sabangan every May 1st.
2. Datu Mansikiabo - the ancestor of the Melendezes and Morenos of Malaybalay City.
3. The Kibalabag River, a head river of Tagoloan River, traverses Sitio Caleb of Kibalabag (More about Caleb on these posts: A Hidden Paradise Part 1 and A Hidden Paradise Part 2)

REMINDERS:
1. Bring lots of water.
2. Wear trekking shoes! (I only wore slippers)
3. Don't go to Sabangan if the weather is gloomy.

WHAT TO BRING:
1. Lunch and Snacks
2. Company - its more enticing to bring your friends
3. Sun Protection Materials
4. of course, CAMERA!!

Note: You can ask the locals or the Barangay Can-ayan Council for directions.

The Sabangan Adventures
June 9, 2013
Barangay Can-ayan, Malaybalay City, Bukidnon

1 comment: