Saturday, February 22, 2014

Experiencing TAGUM CITY

After leaving the Municipality of Malita by almost 11:35am, I boarded a bus for Davao City. Its gonna be another 3 hour trip! (The Malita adventures was stated in my previous post: Exploring Davao Occidental's capital... Malita ). I have to reach the City of Tagum by 4pm. That would mean I will arrive at Davao City by 2:35pm or so, and would embark on another bus ride to Tagum City - an hour drive from Davao - and reach the city by 3:35pm or so. I'm on schedule! 
Road Map of the 181-kilometer Malita-Tagum City travel.
Seeing Digos City again, I went down the bus to get a closer look at the city's overland terminal. The terminal is located in a by-pass road, thereby travelers have to ride a pedicab to reach the city proper. I went back to the bus and the journey back to Davao City continued.

I reached Davao City by 3:15pm, 35 minutes behind my ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival). I rushed towards the entrance of Ecoland Terminal and searched for a convenient bus for Tagum City.

The bus I rode left the terminal by 3:40pm. I was really nervous and I sent a message to my friend in Tagum that I would be very late. Our itinerary was like this:

4:00pm: Arrival at Tagum City, stop at Gaisano Mall of Tagum
4:10-5:10pm: Travel to the Municipality of Talaingod, Davao del Norte
6:10-7:10pm: Travel back to Tagum City

My friend is Mr. Geric Bryle B. Lascuna, a teacher residing and working in Talaingod, a 3rd class municipality in Davao del Norte. He's an avid traveler, like me, and loves his hometown so much. In fact, I learned many things about Talaingod even if I haven't been there yet! This day, I asked him to be my tour guide around Tagum City, and he added a side trip to his hometown.

After a few minutes, Panabo City came to sight! I reached the Province of Davao del Norte!

DAVAO DEL NORTE is a province in the Davao Region home to 945,764 as of 2010. The province is known as the banana capital of the Philippines. The province is subdivided into 8 municipalities and 3 cities.

Facts and Figures of Davao del Norte:
CAPITAL: Tagum City
POPULATION (2010): 945,764
DISTRICTS: 1st and 2nd districts of Davao del Norte

Leaving Panabo City, the next place is the Municipality of Carmen. I'm getting closer to Tagum, the next place after Carmen.

It was 4:30pm and Tagum City came to sight! Finally, I'm close. Kuya Bryle instructed me to stop at the Gaisano Mall, but I insisted to stop at the city terminal. I reached the terminal by 4:40pm. Being late, Kuya Bryle said that he'll tour me around Tagum City only because if I'll insist on travelling to Talaingod, it would be dark and I would not appreciate the views. I agreed since it was my fault.

Tagum City is a great city! Lively residents and a very accommodating ambiance surrounds the place. I instantly became comfortable.

Tagum City Official Seal.

 TAGUM CITY is a 1st class component city in Davao del Norte. It is the capital of the province. Home to 242,801 residents as of 2010, it is the most populous component city in Mindanao. It garnered the name City of Palms and Palm Capital of the Philippines due to the presence of palm trees in its streets and around the city. It is also the Music Capital of the Philippines and music festivals are held in the city, especially in the last week of February.

Kuya Bryle brought his motorcycle along, so the tour around the city was very convenient. We went first to the city's new hall, but because it was already evening, I could only see the lit parts of the hall. The lawn and vicinity of the new city hall was huge!

Next, we went to Tagum City's operating hall, which is located at the city center. Beside the hall, there is a board depicting the city's activities and people, its tourist spots and other things about Tagum, all shown in photographs. Kuya Bryle explained to me one by one the stories behind the photographs. Since them, I'm starting to fall in love with Tagum City.

Kuya Bryle showed me the streets of Tagum, and it was alive! People are everywhere, and so are foods. He shared that every night, a certain street will be closed to give way to a Night Market, where barbeques are sold and people really flock at the stores and have dinner in the streets. Seeing these sights, I remembered the Kaamulan Festival at my home province - Bukidnon. The difference is that it is held every night!

Near the night market are different ukay-ukay stores, which are also displayed every night. I was amazed! I never thought a city can make a move like these.

Being the capital city, I searched for the provincial capitol of Davao del Norte. Kuya Bryle and I drove our way to the capitol, but we first went to the Davao del Norte Sports Complex. The sports complex is the venue for most sports and activities in the city and Davao Region. In fact, it is the venue of the recent DAVRAA (Davao Region Athletic Association), an annual gathering and sports meet involving all the provinces in Region XI and Davao City.

Because we came late, the guard restricted us from entering the complex. My heart was crushed, but the guard said that the gates will be opened to all by 5am.

In front of the Davao del Norte Sports Complex.
Tagum City is also called the City of Festivals, having fifteen (15) festivals in a year! The most known festival is the Musikahan sa Tagum, celebrated every February 21-27. The festival focuses on all musicians of all ages from different parts of Mindanao and the country.

The pasalubong shop just beside the DavNor Sports Complex.
Near the DavNor Sports Complex is the Davao del Norte Provincial Capitol. It is like a mansion! I could not stop being jealous.

Davao del Norte Provincial Capitol.

Near the gates of Davao del Norte Provincial Capitol.
Amazed, I really wanted to have a picture with the province's capitol. An internal joy filled my heart as we were permitted by the capitol guard to enter and have photo sessions.

A lost kid in DavNor.

My Tagum City tour guide - Kuya Geric Bryle Lascuna.
After the provincial capitol, our last stop is at the largest rosary in the world! Found in the Christ the King Church is Barangay Magugpo South. It has a length of 85.5 meters, and lines a pathway to the giant Risen Christ bronze statue. Because its dark in the area, we haven't captured the rosary. The guard also probihited us from taking pictures and suggested that we'll have to come back by 4am.

Because Kuya Bryle has to go home to Talaingod, which is an hour motorcycle drive from Tagum, I stayed at the city's oldest hotel - Molave Hotel. I thanked Kuya Bryle for touring me around Tagum and bid goodbye.

As Sunday came, February 2, I checked out of the hotel and rode a pedicab straight to the terminal. I boarded a bus bound for Davao City and the trip started at 6:30am. Passing by the National Highway in Tagum, I never got disappointed with my short stay in the city. Tagum City is an icon! No wonder cities and municipalities in the country would set Lakbay Aral to the city.

Having a population of 200,000+ , booming economic and cultural activities, and diversified tourist spots, its not a shock that it would become Davao Region's second highly urbanized city, after Davao City, in the future.

I arrived at the Ecoland Terminal by 8:00am. Feeling contented with my weekend adventures, its finally time to go home. I left Davao City by 9:15am.

All the places I've been - Malita and Tagum City - have been very great! I learned things and explored their culture and people. My 25-minute stay at Malita, Davao Occidental and 12-hour stay at Tagum City, Davao del Norte haven't disappointed me one bit! Maybe because travelling gives me contentment and satisfaction, my soul and wild self being tamed by the views I see outside the bus window.

I arrived at my hometown - Malaybalay City - by 3:15pm. Tired, my adventures in 3 provinces puts a smile in my face, and I'm looking forward to a trip to Davao Region's remaining unexplored provinces - Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

Tips for Travelling to Tagum City
1. Choose the Davao Metro Shuttle buses. These are the most convenient buses for Tagum-Davao-Malita trips. Bus trips in the Tagum-Davao route is 24 hours.
2. Fare from Davao City to Tagum City and vise versa is P116.00. (Davao Metro Shuttle-Aircon bus)
3. Tagum is an hour bus ride from Davao City, but depending on the traffic situation in Bunawan District of Davao City.
4. The Davao del Norte Sports Complex opens at 5am and closes at 8pm.
5. The World's Largest Rosary in Christ the King Church opens at 4am and closes at 8pm.

Tagum City Adventures
February 1-2, 2014
Tagum City, Davao del Norte

No comments:

Post a Comment