Saturday, February 15, 2014

Exploring Davao Occidental's capital... MALITA

After a work related seminar in Davao City over the weekdays, I planned embarking on a great adventure! My mind is again craving to see new sights around the city, and what I mean by around is that around its political boundaries.

During the seminar, I checked my map of the Davao Region and see where would I go in the long weekend. Then after a few minutes, a place caught my attention - Tagum City, the capital of Davao del Norte. At first I was hesitant, maybe due to the fact that I haven't been there nor don't know what is in there, but my weird instincts told me to go and pursue the city. An idea came to mind, I have a friend (technically a friend, in Facebook hehehe) and decided to contact him and asked if he could tour me around Tagum City on February 1, a Saturday. He agreed and all is set! But he emphasized that he's free only after 4pm. 

It was a bright and sunny Saturday. My colleagues and I went to Davao Ecoland Terminal at 7:15am and they boarded a bus bound for Cagayan de Oro City for them to go home, but I remained in the terminal. I was troubled and said to myself, "Where would I go before going to Tagum by 4pm?." I first thought of going to Digos City, the capital of Davao del Sur. I then went to the side where buses plying south board and then a crazy idea came to me! "MALITA!", I said to myself. Knowing Malita as the newest capital of the Philippines' newest province Davao Occidental, I went to the bus going to Malita without second thoughts. The bus left the terminal around 7:50am. I haven't had breakfast so I ate my packed biscuits with me.

Road Map guide to the 138-kilometer Davao City-Malita route.

Going to Malita was an adventure! It is my first travel for 2014. What's more exciting is the fact that I could pass by the different municipalities and a city of Davao del Sur. Just outside my window were the great views of eastern Davao del Sur. The first municipality after leaving Davao City is Santa Cruz. It was in Santa Cruz that I saw the shores of Davao Gulf, first time ever since I went to Davao City.

Next to Santa Cruz is Davao del Sur's capital and only city - Digos City. The national highway at Digos doesn't pass the city proper. I was disappointed because I could not see the city itself. The Digos City Overland Bus Terminal is one of the major terminals in Davao del Sur. All buses en route to General Santos City, Kidapawan City, Bansalan, Davao City and Malita pass by the terminal.

Leaving Digos, the next municipalities are Hagonoy, Padada and Sulop. The Municipality of Sulop is where the junction for Malita and General Santos City is located.

Passing Sulop around 10:00am, I was nervous because I have to go to Tagum by 4pm. Still, I relaxed myself and thought positively.

After Sulop, Malalag is the next municipality. It is also the last town before entering Davao Occidental. I was excited! I'm almost at Malita!

Next to Malalag is the Municipality of Santa Maria, already part of Davao Occidental. The road there reminded me of my province - Bukidnon. The winding and zigzag road seemed endless. Santa Maria is a coastal town, yet I never saw any shoreline since I entered its boundaries.

Sooner or later, we reached Barangay Poblacion, Santa Maria. Looking at a board, it indicates that Malita is still 44 kilometers away! "Wow! Layo-a ui! Pero dayun jud ko kay nasugdan na.", I said to myself.

Another set of zigzag roads welcomed me to the Municipality of Malita. I was getting hungry and I'm afraid if there would be any restaurant or just carenderias in the town proper.

Finally, I saw the sign saying "Welcome to Poblacion, Malita, Davao del Sur." "Yes!", shouting within myself, "naka abot najud ko!" Plying within the town proper, I was amazed! I never thought Malita is a booming and a lively town! The bus finally stopped at the town terminal. I rode a pedicab to see the Municipal Hall.

Landscaped area in front of the Municipal Hall.

DAVAO OCCIDENTAL is the Philippines' 81st and newest province. It was carved from its mother province Davao del Sur by Republic Act No. 10360 signed by President Benigno S. Aquino III last January 14, 2013. It was ratified though plebiscite simultaneous with the local and barangay elections held last October 28, 2013, where majority voted for the creation of the new province. Since without locally elected officials, Davao Occidental is under the custody of Davao del Sur provincial government until the new province's first set of provincial officers will be elected on May 2016.

Facts and Figures of Davao Occidental:
Capital: Malita
Population (2010): 293,780
Municipalities: Don Marcelino, Jose Abad Santos, Malita, Santa Maria, Sarangani
Government: Still under Davao del Sur until the new set of officials are elected.
District: Still under the 2nd district of Davao del Sur. After 2016 elections, the province will have a lone district. The other municiplities comprising the 2nd district of Davao del Sur will join the 1st district and form the lone district of Davao del Sur.

The Municipal Hall of Malita.
MALITA is a first class municipality in Davao Occidental home to 109,568 residents. It is the designated provincial capital of the new province. The municipality is the major economic and business center in the area, which accordingly, would become Davao Occidental's first component city. Malita can be reached from Davao City via buses en route to the town. It can also be reached from General Santos City and stop at Sulop, Davao del Sur and ride a bus to Malita.

A glimpse of Poblacion, Malita.
There are many establishments in Malita: pawnshops, banks (government and non-government), other financial institutions, restaurants, resorts, and fast food chains to name a few. The major mode of transportation around the town is pedicab which has a minimum fare of P8.00.

Because I have to race time, I stayed in Malita for only 25 minutes. But it was worth it! Seeing the town has never been satisfying. As I rode in a pedicab back to the terminal, I said to myself, "Sayang dali ra kaayo ko, pero mag balik rako."

Signs near the Malita Terminal.
Travelling has never bored me. It's like its a part of me. While riding the bus going back to Davao City, I recall the adventures I had and the 25 minute-exploration in Malita. Though sad, I thought of coming back soon, and this time, with friends!

I left Malita around 11:45am, again I haven't got time to take lunch. But its okay, as long as I would reach Tagum City by 4pm. People might call me crazy, but I think I'm just following my heart and passion.

TIPS IN TRAVELLING TO MALITA:
1. Choose the Davao Metro Shuttle buses, it is the most convenient bus line for the trip.
2. Prepare big! Fare to Malita is P240.00 (Aircon bus).
3. Bring along packed foods, Davao City to Malita takes 3 hours of travel.
4. Bring camera.
5. Tag along friends.
6. The nearest hotel to Malita is at Digos City, Davao del Sur.
7. Last trip for buses from Malita bound for Davao City is 5pm.
8. Last trip for buses from Davao City bound for Malita is 5pm.

Malita, Davao Occidental Adventures
February 1, 2014

5 comments:

  1. where is the Davao Metro shuttle bus located

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pareho tayo magtravel sir. Solo traveler din, tapos minsan mga 20 minutes to 1 hour exploration lang ng lugar. Capitol Building o Munisipyo paborito kong puntahan! Check out my blog at tripnitj.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May bus ba from Malita na papunta sa Jose Abad Santos? Ano oras kaya last trip? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lived in this province for several months, and I really love it. Most of the time I stayed in a village 10 kms south of Don Marcelino Poblacion (Lawa), but recently I moved to Malita city. It is very exciting to be here. People are overwhelmingly friendly, and nature is wild and impressing. There are several places to spend the night in Malita, just ask the locals. If you venture down to Don Marcelino, I can recommend Captain's Lake resort. Greetings from a Norwegian man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From malita to don marcelino has cemented road.

    ReplyDelete